Blog or Not?



A statistically improbable polymath's views on politics and culture.

Sunday, April 25, 2004
This is the face of a pro-choicer
 
I'm not sure when the body and soul unite in the womb. I'm pretty sure it's not before the fourteenth day of gestation, because before that point the zygote can split and create two embryos. I don't believe that so-called "frozen embryos" (which are really zygotes) have souls because they too can still split. I'm guessing that the fetus has a soul when it starts moving, because then it demonstrates some sort of volition. But these are just boundaries.

But I don't want the government to start arresting women and doctors who participate in first-trimester abortions. I don't want the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, which could lead the way to an abolition of the right to privacy--and the right to contraception, to consenting sex between adults, to all those things Rick Santorum hates.

Besides, I must say that I trust the motives of Planned Parenthood more than I do the motives of the "Religious" Right.

(This post was written in support of the March for Women's Lives.)


Comments: Post a Comment